Tuesday 21 February 2017

Review: Maggie Anne Nail Polish

Today I'm reviewing Maggie Anne nail polish. Maggie Anne are an English company located in Berkshire. They make gel-effect nail polishes which are 6 free i.e. made without the 3 most common chemicals in nail polish - toluene, formaldehyde and dibutyl phthalate (DBP) and also made without formaldehyde resin, camphor and THTP.


They say:

We don't test on animals and it's vegan friendly. Peta cruelty-free and Beauty Without Bunnies licence approved.

I tried two new shades of polish - Sophie and Willow. 



Sophie is a lovely bright lilac colour. Maggie Anne's website says:

 A feminine, graceful, elegant colour. Created by combining a strong warm with a strong cool colour, the colour retains both warm and cool properties.

Lavender shades are considered to be the “grown-up” pink representing beauty and femininity.


Willow is a grey colour, I would say with a hint of blue. Maggie Anne say:

Dark charcoal is the perfect shade of grey this season. It’s not too dark or too light, but just right for an elegant and sophisticated look.




I am a self-confessed nail polish fiend. I have a job where I can't wear it, but I make up for it in my down time. My favourite colour is silver and anything glittery. I like any unusual colours and would very rarely wear a standard bright red.

So how did they measure up to other nail polishes? 

Firstly, they smelled a lot nicer than traditional polishes.They went on smoothly and I noticed there was really good coverage from just one coat, even though I always apply two with every polish. Afterwards my nails were very shiny with a gel effect. Maggie Anne have instructions on their website for a lasting application:

The gel effect polish will last 5-7 days with two coats of colour and a special gel topcoat. Make sure to brush slightly under the tip of the nail to prevent premature tip wear. With our brush style this is easily applied with a finishing stroke.

So here's the rub with me. I've yet to find a nail polish with any specific longevity, which I mentioned in my Barry M Molten Metals post here. I confess I rarely apply a top coat (but always a base coat to avoid staining) and even though I'm not at work when I wear polish, many of my every day activities lead to premature chipping. As I've tried many brands who claim to last a week, I don't believe the hype anymore, but at the same time, I'm not going to mark down a brand for chipping because it's what I have come to expect and I accept it for what it is - not a big deal.

Maggie Anne were in the chipping within one day category (tried with a top coat) but it didn't put me off using it. I didn't have a choice of colours as both polishes were sent to me but I was really impressed with both. Willow is something I never would have chosen in a million years - I just wouldn't gravitate towards a grey nail polish at all, but out of the two it was my favourite and I am wearing it now as I type this (chipping likely lol).


Apart from the colours and lovely shine, my favourite thing about these polishes was the removal! When I wear bright colours, I find removing them a hassle. I always seem to have some at the edges of my nails that won't come off and sometimes I get staining even through a base coat. Maggie Anne's polishes came off like a dream in an instant with normal nail polish remover. I was highly impressed.

A word now about the colours. Despite trying different settings on my camera, my photos of both polishes look different to what they are in the bottle, particularly Sophie which looks a bit blue in my pics when it is in fact purple.

Image taken with a digital camera:


Image taken with an iPhone:


You can see the subtle differences in the colours. The iPhone picture is more representative of the actual colours. Here are pictures from Maggie Anne's website so you can get a better idea.



In summary, I was pleased to try two gorgeous shades of polish. They looked fantastic and smelled better than usual and were removed easily. I would definitely use Maggie Anne again.

Maggie Anne has a large range of gorgeous shades at their website here. You can get 20% off your order by using code BLOGGER at checkout.


* These samples were sent to me for PR purposes. I wasn't paid for my review.

No comments:

Post a Comment