Friday 3 March 2017

Review: SkinLikes 100% Natural Deodorant

Skin Likes are a UK company based in Scotland. I was kindly sent a sample of their natural deodorant to try.

They say: 
This potentially life-saving, clean smelling, soft, fully 100% natural deodorant gives you peace of mind by using the pure, biological ingredients and nothing else. It’s the best!
No sting. (even after shaving)
Kills bacterial odour in sweat instantly.
Does not clog pores.
No white marks on clothes.
Suitable for vegetarians or vegans.
Using food-grade, plant-based ingredients and nothing else, this product as with everything that we produce has not and never will be tested on animals.
Cytotoxic testing at Glasgow Caledonian University confirms that this product will not harm human cells.
The wonderful natural ingredients in this product are:
Scottish spring water
Bicarbonate of soda (Used in baking)
Xanthan gum (a natural thickener found in many quality food products)
A special blend of bacteria-busting therapeutic essential oils.
At the moment I am appalled by the chemicals in many every day toiletries and I do want to switch to 100% natural where I can. What bothers me most about a natural deodorant is there is no antiperspirant cover in that. Namely, you still sweat, but it doesn't smell. So while the no smell is of the utmost importance, I don't like the idea of potentially having wet armpits and stains on my clothes.


Nonetheless, I was keen to give SkinLikes a go. It is a roll-on deodorant with a fresh, herby smell. It does take a while to dry like a lot of roll-ons. I eased myself into it gradually, i.e. tested it at home wearing my scruffs where I was doing nothing more strenuous than putting the washing machine on. After staying dry and fresh, I used it on days off work which involved family outings. Again, everything was okay although it being February, I wasn't liable to sweat during these times.

I remained nervous about wearing it for work. Some days are cold at work, other days can be hot and sweaty. I didn't want to be plunged into a sweaty day in close proximity to colleagues and have them notice a smell or wet stains on my armpits. Eventually, I plucked up the courage and did an 8 hour shift in my SkinLikes deodorant. It wasn't a particularly sweaty day but it was long and hard work. I didn't notice any wetness during the day but when I got home, myself and my partner had a good nose-to-pit sniff lol and there was a faint trace of sweat. I was disappointed but I have noticed an advisory note on the website telling buyers to reapply during the day in extreme heat or exercising.

Hence, the next time I wore it to work, I took the bottle with me too. I re-applied it around 3 times (not paranoid about BO at all haha) and I've got to say, after a very hard day, my pits were in excellent shape come home time with no discernible smell.

In summary, Skinlikes is an effective, pleasant-smelling deodorant that isn't going to give you breast cancer. While reapplication is necessary in a hot environment, it's a small price to pay for knowing that you're not harming yourself (or any animals) while wearing it and hence bringing a little positivity to your day. I would highly recommend it to anyone.


You can buy SkinLikes deodorant here



*These samples were sent to me for PR purposes. I wasn't paid for my review.

2 comments:

  1. I really enjoyed this deodorant when I tried it a while back. My current favourites are by Awake Organics, Aurelia Probiotic Skincare and Schmidts.

    ReplyDelete